This Academy is led by Professor Cilla Harries, deputy theme lead, research capacity building theme.
Elements of the course will include:
- Research leader’s journeys: successful research leaders will give talks about their journey and career decisions and will host Q&A.
- Skills training: opportunities to learn how to: cost grant applications, manage research finance, project management, rules about applying for specific funding streams.
- Leadership qualities development: learn how to build effective collaborations, develop credibility and ensure ethical leadership.
- Peer led action learning sets: problem solving and action progression (teams of 10)
- Understanding Centres of Research Excellence (REF 3*/4*)
- Individual mentorship/coaching session – 1 hour (including guidance on how to organise the session with the mentor/ mentee yourself).
Applications to the scheme are open now. We particularly encourage applications from people from diverse backgrounds.
Briefing events will be held in November to provide further information and answer questions.
Please obtain your line manager's approval for your application. A panel will assess applications in December and those that are approved will be notified before the end of the Autumn term.
How the programme will be delivered
The programme will start on 25 January 2023 with an in-person event. The core events will be online February - June 2023, each Wednesday between 1pm – 2pm (excluding half term breaks and Easter). All events will be recorded and shared with the participants. There will be a minimal engagement expectation of 25 hours over the full programme. Approximately 100 places will be offered. Participants will need to complete an evaluation in June 2023.
Please complete the application form here. Closing date for applications is 30 November 2022.
Q&A sessions about the Academy will be held on Thursday 10 November 12 - 12.30pm and Monday 21 November 12 - 12.30pm via Zoom.
For information or enquiries
Contact, NIHR ARC South London, Capacity building theme email: firstname.lastname@example.org